Col. 4:2-6, Could you watch and pray? <Scripture and Se…
Col. 4:2-6, Could you watch and pray? <Scripture and Sermon summary>
4:2-6, 2.Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. 3 And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. 4 Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. 5 Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity 6 Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
How should believers who live by resurrection faith live? say three things
1. Let him watch for himself (2). Mt.26:40, Risking his life before the crucifixion in the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus, who was praying, said to his disciples when they were sleeping and could not pray. “Couldn’t you guys have stayed awake like this for an hour with me?” It is a word given to us. Today, Paul says in verse 2, “Keep on praying and stay awake in prayer with thanksgiving.” The first thing to do in our life of faith is prayer. Prayer is an expression of faith. It is an expression of a heart that relies on God. It is an earnest request that says, ‘I am weak and cannot fulfill the will of the Lord with my own strength’, please help me. Prayer is the channel through which Christ intervenes and works within ourselves, our families, the church, and society. Through our prayers, Jesus builds the kingdom of the Lord. Amen.
1) “Always” devote yourself to prayer. Prayer is the breath of the soul. It's like you shouldn't stop breathing even for a moment. But why can't we pray enough? This is because the devil always tries to entice our attention away from prayer. Therefore, we must rely on the Holy Spirit to pray always. “Holy Spirit, claim me. Help me to defeat the devil and pray always.” If reading the Bible is compared to spiritual food, prayer is the breath of our spirit, so we must pray without ceasing. Even if you have a wish, even if your wish comes true, even if you have a problem, even if your problem is solved, you must pray.
2) Pray with thanksgiving. Gratitude is an element of true prayer. We always become thankful when we think of the graces of the past, present, and future.
3) Stay awake and continue to pray with thanksgiving. Pray for each other. In the relationship between husband and wife, in the relationship between parents and children, the saints must pray earnestly for each other. Through prayer, a husband can love his wife more, and her wife can obey her husband. Children obey their parents, and parents can bring up their children in the culture and instruction of the Lord. By praying for one another, we can obey each other as if we were serving the Lord wholeheartedly. Therefore, I pray that you will be blessed saints and blessed churches who pray awake with patience and gratitude. Amen. In Ephe.6:10-17, Paul exhorts us to put on the full armor of God in order to fight against the devil, and in v. 18 he tells us the principle of prayer. Ephe 6:18, “With all your prayers and petitions, always pray in the Holy Spirit, and be on the alert for this, always diligently seeking and praying for all the saints.” It is very necessary and important for us to put on the full full armor of God. But without watchfulness and prayer it is of no avail. Even if armed with full body armor, a sleeping soldier cannot fight. V.2, Keep on praying and stay awake with thanksgiving in prayer. Pray earnestly, persistently, and continuously. Calm down and pray. I wish you to live as a warrior of prayer, like a watchman who watches the enemy's movements and understands the situation of allies without losing tension.
2. Pray for the pastor (3-4)
Vs.3, 4, “3 And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which(evangelism) I am in chains. 4 Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.” Saints must pray for pastors. What should they ask for for the pastors? We must pray to be opened the door of evangelism for them so that they can proclaim the mystery of Christ well. Paul and his co-workers were set up to preach the mystery of Christ (1Cor. 4:2, those entrusted with the mystery of Christ, be faithful). They hoped to have more opportunities so that even one more person could hear the gospel, Christ. Christ is the hidden One, in whom are contained all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. They considered it a great honor to preach this Son of God. The apostles were imprisoned for preaching the mystery of Christ. They preached the pure mystery of Christ without compromise. I hope that today we too can preach the mystery of Christ, the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus, and the gospel well.
Filling up the afflictions of Christ in our bodies and preaching the gospel of Christ should be a glorious service to us. To raise up disciples of Christ on earth by preaching, exhorting, and teaching each person should be the highest value of our lives. Christ must be delivered in the most effective way through 1:1, small group study, sermons, lectures, etc. Let's live proclaiming the gospel so that the Lord can rule and guide our lives, families, and churches so that He can be our Lord and King. It is also good to spread the gospel in general, saying, ‘Let’s believe in Jesus and go to heaven, let’s live blessedly’. Furthermore, it should be a gospel preaching ministry that conveys 'Jesus Christ, the hope of glory' that forms the church, the body of Christ that moves on behalf of Christ, and helps them meet God together and experience a new life. For the ministry of Sonship (God's children) and Kingship (God's reign) to be completed, we must obey until we are bound. Col.2:2, “That their hearts may be comforted, and united in love, that they may understand all the riches of a sure understanding, and the mystery of God, Christ.” 1:25-29, “I became a minister of the church according to the ministry God gave me for you, to fulfill the word of God... This mystery is Christ in you, the hope of glory. We preach him (the core preaching of the gospel), exhort each person (small group study, counseling), and teach each person(systematic, repetitive, continuous discipleship training) with all wisdom so that each person may be perfected (mature) in Christ. For this, I also labor with all my might according to the work of the One (God the Holy Spirit) who works mightily within me.” Please pray for pastors to preach the mystery of Christ, teach the Bible, and minister. Pray that you can hear the voice of the Holy Spirit well, and pray that you can hear well when the pastor preaches the word. A good pastor is one who understands and appreciates the sheep and provides them with good feed and drink. A good sheep is one that follows the pastor, understands, prays for, and always approaches with the burden of co-workers to help them with something. May we live as good pastors and good sheep.
3. Speak the Gospel to outsiders (neighbors, unbelievers) (5-6)
What kind of attitude and language should a believer live when dealing with an unbeliever? Vs. 5,6, “Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.”
1) Act with wisdom. Be an example. ‘Act with wisdom toward outsiders’, ‘Act lightly so as not to attract criticism from unbelievers’, it is an exhortation to benefit them and save their lives. Jesus also said, “I am sending you out as among wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves” (Mt.10:16).
2) Save your time (use or buy the opportunity well). It means to make it mine by paying the price of good effort and sacrifice over time. The time lived in this way brings eternal happiness in the next world (Lk.16:9, Eph 5:16). Paul here saw all time (years) as an opportunity. Opportunities keep flowing, and if we don't buy them and make them our own, they're gone forever. So what can you buy that opportunity for? It can be lived by the believer's effort and sacrifice to live according to the Lord's will (Ephe.6:17) through faith, repentance, and determination in prayer. Soon, if we please the Lord, the opportunity becomes forever valuable and becomes ours. The reason why we must seek opportunity like this is because this generation is evil, and if we do not buy it and take it, opportunity will be used for evil (1 Tim.6:17-19, if you hope in this generation... Do not leave it alone, but put it in God.. Do good, do many good works, love to share, and be generous. This is to lay a good foundation for yourself in the future and take the true life).
3) Always speak graciously, as if seasoning with salt.
It means 'Let all conversations be full of grace', 'Be careful not to speak corrupt and dirty words'. Ephe.4:29; Mt.5:13. Salt is a 'preservative'. Salting the words of the saints means that the words of the saints must be words that prevent corruption, and words that add flavor. Even when dealing with those who oppose or persecute our faith, our words should be gracious. Even though our language does not always come out of grace, we must allow grace to dwell there. And even if our speech is plain, there should be an atmosphere of piety in it, and it should be Christian. In other words, the word 'seasoned with salt' means that 'gracious words' make our conversations even, make them taste good, and serve as salt to prevent conversations that lead to corruption.
Dear fellow believers, I pray that we all treat each other with the same mind as the Lord treats our neighbors, respect others with wisdom, and spread the life of Jesus with words of comfort. Amen.
1 Peter 3:10-11,15, “10. For, “Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech. 11.They must turn from evil and do good; they must seek peace and pursue it. 15.But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16.keeping a clear conscience.” Amen.