EM 말씀

Mt. 21:1-11, People welcoming the King

관리자 0 518 2023.04.03 14:12
Mt. 21:1-11, People welcoming the King        <Scripture & Sermon Summary>

1.As they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage on the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples,
2.saying to them, “Go to the village ahead of you, and at once you will find a donkey tied there, with her colt by her. Untie them and bring them to me.
3. If anyone says anything to you, say that the Lord needs them, and he will send them right away.”
4. This took place to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet:
5. “Say to Daughter Zion, ‘See, your king comes to you, gentle and riding on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.’ ”
6 The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them.
7 They brought the donkey and the colt and placed their cloaks on them for Jesus to sit on.
8 A very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road.
9 The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted, “Hosanna to the Son of David!” “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!” “Hosanna in the highest heaven!”
10.When Jesus entered Jerusalem, the whole city was stirred & asked, “Who is this?”
11 The crowds answered, “This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth in Galilee.”

<Summary>
  Jesus is the King of Kings. Two thousand years ago, after Jesus finished his ministry in Judea, he entered Jerusalem, where he would spend the last week. He sends two disciples from nearby Bethphage to the village opposite, and tells them to bring a donkey and a colt. This is the fulfillment of the prophecies of the prophets. The disciples spread their cloaks on the colt, and Jesus rides on it, and the crowd spread their cloaks and branches on the road and shout, “Hosanna to the Son of David!” This caused a commotion throughout Jerusalem. Let's apply it to our lives through the two groups' conflicting reactions to this incident.
1. Jesus, the King of kings, prepares to enter (1-5) - The Lord will use it!

Jesus, along with his disciples, arrived at the village of Bethphage beyond the Mount of Olives. From there, Jesus sent two disciples to the village opposite, saying, “Untie the colt and the donkey that are tied and lead them. If someone asks, answer ‘the Lord needs them’”. The owner obeyed Jesus' words and gave the two donkeys. It is a great expression of obedience. *Am I obeying the word of the Lord? However, the owner's name is not recorded here. How beautiful is this nameless, hidden server. He ♪ without name and without light will serve with gratitude ♪ just as praise. In the Bible, there are many times those who obeyed in silence. We do not know them, but the Lord does and is glorified through them. We also pray that we will be used by the Lord by serving quietly and obediently for the Lord.

2.Jesus enters Jerusalem riding on a colt(6-8)-The humble king's march that fulfilled the prophecy
  This is from Zech.9:9, Rejoice greatly, Daughter Zion! Shout, Daughter Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and victorious, lowly and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey. It was accomplished. What does it mean to us that Jesus rode a colt, not a fancy chariot or horse? The personality that can be a king, the qualification to exercise the right to rule is humility. Those who want to have the power of a king must humble themselves like Jesus. Many Christians today try to avoid that path if there is suffering, loss, or criticism. But Jesus goes the way confidently even in the hardships that have been announced. In order to accomplish the purpose of saving mankind by being nailed to the cross, the Lord is particularly humble. This is because he cannot achieve salvation while reigning over others (Mt.20:21-28, disciples who want high positions; 28, Jesus came to serve and give a ransom)

The colt was also used for the history of redemption. Verse 3, “If anyone says anything, say that the Lord needs will use it, and I will send it immediately.” Everything we have belongs to the Lord. The expression 'the Lord needs them' is a very meaningful word to the Israeli people. This means that the Messiah's time has come. It means that donkeys are also used for that era, so the owner of the donkey would have happily allowed it. The privilege of serving the King of humility and the Prince of Peace for the Lord's entry into Jerusalem belongs to those who are prepared. It is an honor for even a lowly animal to be used in the service of the Lord. Look at the colt carrying the young man Jesus on his way from Bethphage over the Mount of Olives to Jerusalem. It must have been a path of pain and suffering. What about me?

See those who spread their cloaks on the road and greet him as king with hosannas(Vs. 7-9). The disciples provided the best they had according to the Lord's needs. They didn't mind getting their clothes dirty or damaged. Then the crowd took off their coats and spread them out on the road. It is a privilege and an honor to serve Christ the King with the little they have. We cannot fulfill the Lord's work if we do not value what we have and what we wear, serve Christ, and share what we have for the poor and suffering neighbors.
    “Hosanna” means “save us now”. They come to clearly recognize the relationship between God, the Father and His son, king and people. Various expectations were mixed: political, secular, and religious messianic expectations. They were expecting physical redemption. The meaning of saving us is understood to include the duty and responsibility of a father to rescue his children from death or a king to protect and save his people from enemy attacks. The cheering of the crowd is a quote from Ps. 118:25, 26. The cheers of this group are similar to the praises that the angels sang at the birth of Jesus (Luke 2:14). ‘Lord, save us.’

Question 1. Say, ‘The Lord (calling himself Lord) needs them’. If these words are given to me today, how can I respond? Like donkey’s owner, disciples, and colt, let's use our time, mind, substance, and talent happily for the Lord Jesus Christ.
  2. Jesus, whom the Jews crucified, God has established as Lord and Christ (Acts 2:36), King and Savior (Acts 5:31). How do you think Jesus is being treated in the church by Christians today? We tend to think of ourselves as benefactors, helpers, and healers. Let me first treat You as my Lord and Christ, as my King and Savior.
3. With what attitude do I serve our Lord, who has entered my life as the King of Peace riding on a colt, a donkey? Let us serve as King and Lord of salvation with joy and humility and peace. Amen.

Comments