EM 말씀

Colosians 3:5-11, You have put the new self <Scripture & Sermon …

관리자 0 631 2023.02.27 12:02
Colosians 3:5-11, You have put the new self    <Scripture & Sermon Summary>

5-11,
5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.
6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.
7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived.
8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.
9 Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices
10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.
11 Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

<Sermon Summary>
    In <The Prince and the Beggar>, the prince who lived like a beggar, after meeting his real father, the king, he takes off his old clothes and changes into clothes that suit his status as a prince. And he begins to live a completely different life, not a beggar's life, but a prince's life. This is what we look like as a new self who believe in Jesus. How to live?

1. Put to death of the earthly nature (5-6)
5,6. 5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.
  ‘Greed begets sin, and sin begets death.’(James1:15). Conversely, the saints must live by the Holy Spirit (Rom.8:13). Do you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord, Savior and God? Then you are a new person in Jesus. 2 Cor.5:17, Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, new things have come.'
  The new self is the one who puts to death of hs earthly nature (worldly nature/desires). What is the self on earth? Verse 5 says 5 things. “sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed(excessive covetousness), which is idolatry.” Every worldly covetousness is insatiable idolatry, such as sex, money, and power. It says not to covet the tenth of the Ten Commandments. Ex.20:17, You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant, or his maidservant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's. These sins are like living creatures, like AI, controlling humans and alienating them from God. Therefore, in order for our faith to grow, we must renounce this sin. It must be severed from the root with the power of the Holy Spirit (3:5).    *What kind of excessive greed am I indulging in? Cut it off by the power of the Holy Spirit.

2. Take off the old self (7-9a)
  7-9a, 7. You also used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, slander, and shameful words from your mouth. malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9. Do not lie to each other.
  What is the old man (self) that we, the new man, must put off? Verse 7, 'before' dwelled among the six 'evils' (anger, rage, malice, slander, shameful words, lies). I have lived with the habits, consciousness and actions of the past. But the new man must put off all these things. We must cast off all these sins wholly as if we were taking off an old garment. These old self is not dealt with all at once. You have to put it off with self-control through the Spirit and the Word. Otherwise, we will continue to act like unbelievers and lose God’s reward and grace.

3. New person, put on the clothes of Christ (9b-11).
9b-11, “9b.since you have taken off your old self with its practices(liquidation of the old life) 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 11.Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian(a violent and savage people living on the coast of the Black Sea), slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.” Jesus Christ, who is all and in all, unites us as one.
    How did the saints put on the new self? He put off the old man and his deeds and put on the new self. God works on the new self who has the life of Jesus. When man was first created, he was created in the image of God (Gn.1:26). He was also restored as a new self in the image of God. God renewed the hearts of the saints. Through faith in Jesus, the distorted image was restored, and the holiness (separated to God) of righteousness (right relationship) was restored. Everyone here is the same, no discrimination or bad treatment. Ephe.4:23,24, “23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.” And it is a continual sanctification. We all obey the word of the Lord (1Sa.15:22) and bless you to become new. However, we feel skeptical about whether we are a true Christian or a new self, or we despair because we cannot control ourselves. We cannot stand in our righteousness. Is.64:6, ‘All of us are like unclean people, and all of our righteousness is like filthy clothing. We all wither like a leaf, and our iniquity carries us away like the wind.’ Only Christ’s righteousness must stand. Gal.3:27(clothed with Christ), Rom.13:12-14(... put on the armor of light... clothed only with the Lord Jesus Christ).

There are two paths in our life. There is the way of life given by Christ, who is all things, and the way of God's wrath (curse) (6) (15). It depends on our choices. Dt. 30:19, ‘I have set life and death, blessing and cursing before you; choose life so that you and your offspring may live.’ If we pursue our earthly body, God’s wrath will appear on us. However, if I believe in Jesus, think about, seek, and obey the things above, the fullness of all the divinity of Jesus Christ, God, who is all things, dwells in me, comes to me, and fills me to the full within. Rom.8:5,6, 5.Those who follow the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, and those who follow the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. Which path will you choose?

*Nathaniel Hawthorne, <Great stone face>. Ernest, who lives in a rural village, waits for someone who resembles a benevolent great stone face. Is the Gather Gold (great rich man) him? It wasn't. He was not even a brave general. He wasn't even a famous politician. He was not even a realistic poet. Ernest worked as a carpenter before becoming a preacher in his old age. One day the poet saw him preaching in front of the villagers at sunset, and he exclaimed. ‘Ernest, he is the man with the great stone face!’ He lived every day looking at the benevolent great stone face. He finally resembles that face. Hallelujah! We long for the image of God. bearing the fruit of the Spirit. Heb.12:2, “Fix our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.” It is the law of looking. When we keep looking at it, we will resemble it. Just like married couples, when we keep looking at Jesus and moving forward, we will be transformed into people who look like Jesus. we are new people I pray that you put to death of the earthly nature, put off your old self, put on the clothes of Jesus Christ, who is everything (all), and look at Him (Heb.12:2) and live as a noble people who resemble Him. Amen.

(Prayer) I believe that the Master God, Jesus Christ, is all (everything) and everything is in Him. Thank you, the Lord, who is all things, as my Lord, look only to You (Heb.12:2), put to death of the earthly nature, cast off the old self, put on the new self, and live as a noble people who resemble Jesus. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Comments