Rev. 22:6-12, Enjoy the blessing of the Word
Rev. 22:6-12, Enjoy the blessing of the Word
6 The angel said to me, “These words are trustworthy and true. The Lord, the God who inspires the prophets, sent his angel to show his servants the things that must soon take place.”
7 “Look, I am coming soon! Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy written in this scroll.”
8 I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I had heard and seen them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who had been showing them to me.
9 But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your fellow prophets and with all who keep the words of this scroll. Worship God!”
10 Then he told me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this scroll, because the time is near.
11 Let the one who does wrong continue to do wrong; let the vile person continue to be vile; let the one who does right continue to do right; and let the holy person continue to be holy.”
12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.
Last week/ 1) New Jerusalem (the Saints who are the Lamb's wife = church), be beautiful (21:22-27) 2) Enjoy the bliss and glory in New Eden (22:1-5)
Today's text is 22:6-12. Let's listen carefully and enjoy the blessings of the Word. Christianity is a religion of the Word.
1. The Word is faithful and true (6).
We cannot believe and depend on the world, but let us believe and rely on the Word because it is faithful and true.
The Word is “given by God the Holy Spirit” (6). 2 Tim. 3:16, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.” Bible was written by those who were moved by the Holy Spirit. These words are useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.
2. Those who keep these words (fellow servants of Word) are blessed (7, 1:3).
1:3, “Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.”
Also, the words of the Bible are open to completion and must be fulfilled in the end (6,10), so you must study them, practice, and acquire wisdom with tension.
3. Worship only God, not creature (8-9). John repeats the mistake of bowing to the angel twice (19:10 and here). It is to guard us against making this mistake.
4. Receive the Lord's reward (crowns) (12).
In the last days, people will go their only ways and will not repent (9:20,21,16:9,11,21), but we have to be free ourselves from unrighteousness and uncleanness and live in righteousness and holiness(11)
*Receive the Lord’s rewards(crowns, 12) (21:24,26, his glory).
1) Crown of life (Rev 2:10, James 1:12) 2:10, “...Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.” James 1:12, “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.”
2) Crown of glory (1 Peter 5:4, And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.)
3) Crown of righteousness (2 Tim. 4:8, “Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.”)
4) Crown of pure gold (Ps.21:3, “You came to greet him with rich blessings
and placed a crown of pure gold on his head.“)
5) Glorious Crown of Righteousness (Prov.4:8-9, “8 Cherish her, and she will exalt you; embrace her, and she will honor you. 9 She will give you a garland to grace your head and present you with a glorious crown.”)
6) Crown of Jewels (Zech.9:16, “The Lord their God will save his people on that day as a shepherd saves his flock. They will sparkle in his land like jewels in a crown.”), etc.
We are saved by faith in Jesus as our Savior. Rewards of God are given in return for our works. Therefore, we all receive salvation from justification and sanctification (Romans 6:22, “But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.”), as well as the blessed saints who receive abundant rewards (21:24, 26, I pray may God bless you all, your glory) by obeying Jesus’ words of life to the end (7, 1:3). Amen.