EM 말씀

Rev. 17:1-18, Jesus’ victory, saints’ victory

관리자 0 951 2022.05.02 12:48
Rev. 17:1-18, Jesus’ victory, saints’ victory

17:1-18,
1. One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and said to me, “Come, I will show you the punishment of the great prostitute, who sits by many waters.
2 With her the kings of the earth committed adultery, and the inhabitants of the earth were intoxicated with the wine of her adulteries.”
3 Then the angel carried me away in the Spirit into a wilderness. There I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast that was covered with blasphemous names and had seven heads and ten horns.
4 The woman was dressed in purple and scarlet, and was glittering with gold, precious stones and pearls. She held a golden cup in her hand, filled with abominable things and the filth of her adulteries.
5 The name written on her forehead was a mystery: Babylon the great, the mother of prostitutes and of the abominations of the earth.
6 I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of God’s holy people, the blood of those who bore testimony to Jesus. When I saw her, I was greatly astonished.
7 Then the angel said to me: “Why are you astonished? I will explain to you the mystery of the woman and of the beast she rides, which has the seven heads and ten horns.
8 The beast, which you saw, once was, now is not, and yet will come up out of the Abyss and go to its destruction. The inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the creation of the world will be astonished when they see the beast, because it once was, now is not, and yet will come.
9 “This calls for a mind with wisdom. The seven heads are seven hills on which the woman sits.
10 They are also seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; but when he does come, he must remain for only a little while.
11 The beast who once was, and now is not, is an eighth king. He belongs to the seven and is going to his destruction.
12 “The ten horns you saw are ten kings who have not yet received a kingdom, but who for one hour will receive authority as kings along with the beast.
13 They have one purpose and will give their power and authority to the beast. 14 They will wage war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will triumph over them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings—and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers.”
15 Then the angel said to me, “The waters you saw, where the prostitute sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations and languages.
16 The beast and the ten horns you saw will hate the prostitute. They will bring her to ruin and leave her naked; they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire. 17 For God has put it into their hearts to accomplish his purpose by agreeing to hand over to the beast their royal authority, until God’s words are fulfilled.
18 The woman you saw is the great city that rules over the kings of the earth.”

Chapter 17 deals with the vision of the great prostitute (Babylon), its interpretation, and her destruction. It shows the judgment of the great prostitute who sits on many waters (1). The great prostitute is Babylon the Great (5), which refers to Rome at the time, but it refers to the world and values ​​that deny God and worship idols today (15). She wears luxurious clothes and rides on a beast (Antichrist) (4). She made the kings of the earth commit adulteries, and made the people of the earth drunk with their grapewine (2).

And she blasphemes God and persecutes the saints severely (6). Kings and the beast will unite to fight the Lamb, but the Lamb, the Lord of lords and King of kings, will triumph over them, and those who are with Him, those who are called, chosen and faithful followers, will also do. The victory of the Lamb is the victory of the saints (14, 9, 19:11-16). We cannot overcome the world and the devil by our strength, experience, or knowledge. Only with the Lord's gentleness, forgiveness, and love can we overcome. We should all live as blessed saints who receive the Lord's calling and election and follow the Lord faithfully.
  The prostitute's end is tragic. Even if evil unites, it soon divides. Babylon, the prostitute, the beast, and the kings were divided. In the end, the kings of ten horns  and the beast hate the prostitute and destroy her, naked, eating her flesh, and consuming her with fire. This is the nature of evil. Our members must strive to build unity in the Holy Spirit and build the kingdom of God.
  What are the prostitute-like world cultures and values ​​that have penetrated into our lives? How can I defeat it and win? Blessed be all the people of the Lord who have been called and chosen by Jesus Christ, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who faithfully follow the Lord and live for the kingdom of God. Amen.

In the wilderness where John was led by the Holy Spirit, he sees a great prostitute  riding on a scarlet beast (Antichrist) (1-3). Babylon the Great, the mother of prostitutes and abominations of the earth, with a golden cup full of adultery, drunk with the blood of saints and of the witnesses of Jesus (4-6). Those who are not written in the book of life will be amazed to see the beast coming out of the abyss (8). The eighth king, the beast, will receive his power and authority to fight the Lamb with the ten kings, but the Lamb, the Lord of lords and King of kings, will triumph (11,14). The beast and the ten kings hate the prostitute, bring her to ruin, leave her naked, eat her flesh and burn her with fire (16). God gave their kingdom to the beast, only allowing the Word to come true (17).

Question
1. What is the identity of the woman riding the red beast? (5) What must I decide to remain pure in a world full of pleasure, splendor, and luxury?
2. What will happen to the beast that came up from the abyss?(8) What do you need to keep away from to keep your faith and not fall for the lies and temptations of evil forces?
3. Who are the seven heads and ten horns at war with? (14) What is the spiritual warfare that the community and I are fighting, and how can we win?
4. What is the ultimate reason for infighting within the forces of evil? (17) What kind of evil must I cast away in the sight of God who hates and judges evil?

Conclusion: I pray that all of us will become the Lord's people who walk with the Lord and preach the gospel as faithful followers who were called and chosen by the Lord, believing that Jesus rules the world and is victorious in spiritual warfare. Amen.

Comments