EM 말씀

Psalm 136:1-9, God, I just want to thank you for everything(Thanksgivi…

관리자 0 1,136 2021.11.21 03:27
Psalm 136:1-9, God, I just want to thank you for everything.

Today is Thanksgiving Sunday. Verse 25 says, “He gives food to every creature. His love endures forever.” We do not harvest crops but when we think about the Lord, He has provided for us and gave us food this year and directed our steps. Give thanks to the Lord for His grace. Thanksgiving is essential and important theme in the life of faith. A believer should adopt an attitude of thanksgiving as identity. Psalm 136 marvels at God’s Creation, commemorates the Exodus from Egypt, recalls the life in the wilderness, conquering the Canaanites and give thanks to the Lord for giving food to every creature. Receive the message through God’s Word today.

1. First, Give thanks to the Lord (1-3).

Often, we think the opposite. We only give thanks to the Lord if there are reasons and only in certain terms and conditions. But the Psalmist simply writes, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good…” He gives thanks to the Lord first, and then explains why he gives thanks. Verses 1-3 write, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever. Give thanks to the God of gods. His love endures forever. Give thanks to the Lord of lords: His love endures forever.”

He gives thanks to the Lord first unconditionally, then give reasons. Verse 1 says, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.” He gives thanks to the Lord because He is good and His love endures forever (1-3). Why do we give thanks to God? And when do we give thanks to God? It is not easy to give thanks when we have no reason to be thankful. But God Himself should be a precondition for our thanksgiving.

Prophet Habakkuk confesses in Habakkuk 3:17-19a, “Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights.” Even though he does not have many things, he rejoices in the LORD. He is joyful in God for who He is. That is great faith. At times, we have exceptions and reasons to be ungrateful. Remember what verse says, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever.” Think about what will happen next after giving thanks to God. Just give thanks to God for everything. The Psalmist repeats thanksgiving 26 times. Let us also give thanks to God always in our lives.

2. Why are we not thankful? (Romans 1:21, 2 Timothy 3:2)

Naturally, we should always be thankful, but we are not like that, because it is not human nature to be thankful. Paul says in Romans 1:21, “For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.” He is talking about sinful humanity and corrupted culture. What may be known about God, God has made it plain to everyone. Since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. But although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him. They refuse to believe God’s existence, power and authority and sit in the throne themselves. Their hearts are filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; Paul also says in 2 Timothy 3:2, “People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy…” Instead of God, ‘I’ become like god and rule in the throne (e.g., Apple’s iphone, imac, ipad, ibook, itunes) The world values ‘I’ the most (e.g., who is like a king in a family? Father, child, high school student, or wife who is going through menopause?) When ‘I’ become the center of our lives, we will be discontent and complain, rather than giving thanks to God. When we do not worship, our lives will fall apart. The Psalmist gives thanks to God the Creator in verses 4-9. He instructs to give thanks to God for all creation came from Him. Every creature must respond to the Creator with thanksgiving and praise. We must start with thanksgiving. Thanksgiving connects directly to our relationship with God. When we do not have this relationship with God, we will be discontent and dissatisfied. The stronger ‘self’ is, the stronger the resentment and grievance is. Why is that? When we become self-centered, complaints will increase. When we do not worship God and refuse to have relationship with Him, we will be miserable and unhappy. So what should we do? We should shift our attention from self-centered life to God-centered life. We do this when we worship. Verse 1 says, Give thanks to the Lord.” It means worship Him and acknowledge Him as our God. Think about what will please God and live life, giving glory to Him with thanksgiving and praise.

3. Give thanks to the Lord for everything He has done (4-9).

The Psalmist was delivered from suffering. He gives thanks to the Lord for turning what was impossible to possible. He gives thanks to God who divided the Red Sea, brought Israel through the midst of it, led His people through the wilderness, and struck down the kings in the land of Canaan. The Israelite lived and experienced God’s miracles. Humans are weak and cannot live without God’s grace. We were born by God’s miracle and live by His miracles everyday. Everything is God’s grace and help. The world is full of evil and wickedness. 1 Peter 5:8 says, “Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” We are alive and well because of God’s grace and miracles. What may seem like normal everyday life is actually a miracle. (Conversation between a son and a father, “What is a miracle? Be thankful, appreciate normal, ordinary things in your everyday life.”)

God is active and alive, and still watches over us even today. Psalm 136 gives thanks to God for what He has done. Often, we forget what God has done. We must remember everything our God has done. Gratitude is important. Teach children gratitude. When we give thanks to God, we are successful and happy in God. Paul writes in Thessalonian 5:18, “give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
  Why should we give thanks in all circumstances? It is because we believe that our God is sovereign, almighty God. Give thanks to God for everything He has done, praise Him for all the miracles He has performed. Give thanks to God for providing for us. Verses 21-25 repeatedly say, “give thanks to God who gives…” What is our God like? He likes to give. James 1:17 notes, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”

When do we complain? Complaints arise when we focus on the things we do not have, rather than appreciating the things we do have. Do not compare yourself with others. Sometimes having desires can cause problems. Satan tempts us to desire, covet, and grumble. God has already given us the best gift. There is no greater gift than God’s gift. What did He give us? Romans 8:32 says,  “He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” This is amazing. Verse 26 sings, “Give thanks to the God of heaven. His love endures forever.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, “give thanks in all circumstances (includes suffering and pain); for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” This connects with 1 Corinthians 15:10 confession, “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.” Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

Gratefulness is not conditional, not dependent on circumstances. We are call to give thanks in all circumstances and have a thankful heart and attitude. Philippians 4:11, 13 highlights, “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” Be content in whatever the circumstances. Be connected to Christ who gives you strength. Psalm 136 confesses, “His love endures forever.” His love is faithful and trustworthy. Reside in God’s presence whatever obstacles you face in life. Do not despair. Trust in the Lord. Give thanks to the Lord with all your heart and soul. Be disciplined and give thanks to God.

Dear saints, give thanks to God for everything. Be thankful for salvation of Jesus and  resurrection and the second coming.  In your daily life, give glory to God with thanksgiving and praise. I pray that we will restore gratitude in our lives in the name of the Lord. Amen.

Comments