EM 말씀

Rev.3:1-6, I’ll give you white clothes & acknowledge your name

관리자 0 1,202 2021.11.07 13:28
Rev.3:1-6,  I’ll give you white clothes & acknowledge your name

So far, we heard the words Jesus gave to the four churches.
To the church in Ephesus, Jesus said, “to the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.”
To the church in Smyrna, He said, “Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.”
To the  church in Pergamum, He said, “Repent and turn away from idol worship and sexual immorality. To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna (eternal life) and a white stone with a new name written on it (ticket to heaven).”
To the church in Thyatira, Jesus said,  “to the one who is victorious and overcome the false prophet, I will give them an iron scepter and the morning star.”

Today, let us listen to the words Jesus gave to the church in Sardis (6). The church in Sardis was wealthy, safe and secure from the enemy, and did not face many persecutions.

1. Jesus rebuked the church in Sardis that they have a reputation of being alive, but they are dead.   

Verse 1 shows that the Lord who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars, gives life through the Holy Spirit and helps the church leaders. The church in Sardis had a reputation of being alive but they were dead. Verse 2 shows that He has found their deeds unfinished in the sight of God. We are unfinished, incomplete in the sight of God. In our worship, do we fear and respect the Lord? Is there life of Jesus Christ in our service to the Lord? How is our spiritual life?

2. Jesus writes a prescription to heal the church in Sardis (2-3). 

1) Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die (2).
The Bible mentions several times, “Wake up, sleeper, rise from the dead. Watch and pray…”(Ephesians 5:14, Mark 14:38, etc). It is easy to fall asleep. Satan has put sleeping pills in our lives everywhere such as the pursuit of money, fame, pride, contentment with reality, loss of dream and vision. It is time to wake up and rise. Romans 13:11 says, “And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.” And we must strengthen what remains and is about to die (2). Revive a dying fire. Make a small flame, spark grow into fire. 2 Timothy 1:6 writes, “For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.” Example) Campfire at the retreat .

2) Verse 3 says, “Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; hold it fast, and repent.” Remember when you first heard the Gospel. Remember Jesus Christ. Restore gratitude you first had when you received the Good News. Give thanks for Jesus’ sacrificial love, His death on the cross, and His grace. Have fellowship with the Lord. In Luke 10:41, the Lord said to Martha, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed…” He seeks the one who sits at the Lord’s feet and listens to what he says. Remember what you have received and heard and hold it fast and repent (3). Jesus said, “but if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.” We must repent and turn away from sin, throw away clothes that are dirty, impure, and unholy. The Lord seeks a few who are holy. (Martin Luther) Though we are a few, let us be holy and pure that the Lord takes notice. Pray that a few will turn into many and lead others to follow Him.

3. What reward will a few people who have not soiled their clothes receive? (4,5) 

1) Those who have soiled their clothes indicate those who have sinned. But when they hear the words of the Lord and repent, He will dress them in fine white linen, white and clean and have them partake in His glory (Rev 19:8, 14, 22:14). How glorious will that be? They will have the right to the tree of life and go through the gates into the city. 

2) He will write their names in the book of life (5). He will give them salvation and reward (21:27, 20:15). That will be wonderful.

3) He will acknowledge their names before His Father and His angels (5). Think about a rich man and Lazarus in Luke 16. A rich man was well known and lived in luxury on earth but his name was not written in the book of life in heaven because he did not believe in God. However, Lazarus was poor, people neglected and ignored him on earth but his name was called in heaven eternally.

Dear Saints, let us fan into flame the life with Jesus Christ. Remember Jesus Christ. Come to Him. Walk with Him, dressed in white. May God bless you and acknowledge your name. Amen.

Comments