EM 말씀

Rv.2:12-17 I’ll give the hidden manna & a white stone with a new name(…

관리자 0 1,181 2021.10.24 11:47
Rv.2:12-17, I’ll give the hidden manna & a white stone with a new name(Church in Pergamum)

Last Sunday, we heard the words the Lord gave to the church in Smyrna. He said, “Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.” Today, the Holy Spirit urges us to listen to the words the Lord gave to the church in Pergamum. Verse 17 says, “Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches…” In this vision, we see the Lord has the sharp, double-edged sword (12). Let’s see why He has the sharp, double-edged sword.

1. Jesus said, “I know where you live.”(13).
  Verse 13 depicts that the church in Pergamum was situated where Satan had his throne. Satan lives in the city permanently. They set up many temples and worshipped false gods such as snake. The church in Pergamum faced resistances and conflicts with those who worshipped false gods. It was hard to remain as faithful believers. Even today, it is difficult to be a faithful follower of Christ in this world because there are many who worship foreign gods and idols such as Mammon, the god of money, wealth, and material possessions. We should put our hope only in the Lord and our heavenly home, where we will live eternally. In Psalm 73:25, King David confesses, “Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.” Do we also have the same confession of faith? To believe in Jesus means to be satisfied with God as our Lord and our only hope. Church in Pergamum had their faith in God even in the city where Satan had his throne, even in the days of martyrdom. Verse 13 shows that Antipas, Jesus’ faithful witness, was put to death. Jesus commended the believers for they remained true to His name. Do we also remain true to His name as faithful believers?

2.The Lord rebukes the teaching of Balaam, the teaching of Nicolaitans and warns them (14-15).
  Even the church in Pergamum who kept their faith was reproached. Verses 14-15 show that there were people who held to the teaching of Balaam, the teaching of the Nicolaitans in the church. They worshipped idols and committed sexual immorality (Numbers 22-25). There was a disparity and disharmony in the church because there were those who were martyred for their faith in Christ and others who worshipped idols and false gods and committed sexual immorality. How ironic is that? What about us? Do we show duplicity in the way we live our lives? Are there times we worship God and worship other things also, like worldly things, material possessions and success? There may be those who say that they are faithful in their words but in their actions, they act like mere infants. One man may say, “I read the Word and understand the Word, I will go on mission.” But he may not respond when someone asks for a ride. Someone may pray earnestly and have many spiritual gifts, but not do what someone asks him to do. Does our action correspond with our faith? Does our lives show duplicity like the church in Pergamum? Our Lord exhorts those who live double lives (16). Let us repent any duplicity in life. Jesus said if they do not repent, He will soon come and will fight against those with the sword of His mouth. Hebrews 4:12-13 write, “For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.” Those who do not repent will be uncovered and judged before the Lord and the sword of His Word.

3. He promises to give some of the hidden manna and a white stone with a new name written on it to the one who is victorious (17).
  Verse 17 shows that the one who is victorious, is the one who hear the Word and repent. God will give them a reward. He will give them the hidden manna. The hidden manna is not a temporary food, it is the bread that gives eternal life, Jesus Christ. Jesus said in John 6:51, “ I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.” Jesus will also give a white stone with a new name written on it to the one who is victorious. It is a ticket to banquet in heaven. 2 Cor 5:17 says, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” We will be the new creation and enter heaven. The church in Pergamum persevered in the world, where the martyrs and idol worshippers lived, yet Jesus promised to give his hidden manna and a white stone, Jesus Christ and eternal life to the one who is victorious. May God bless you so you may dwell in Jesus Christ and receive eternal life, and enter the kingdom of heaven as His new creation and noble children. Amen.

Comments