EM 말씀

Revelation 2:8-11, I will give you victor’s crown of life(Church in Sm…

관리자 0 1,206 2021.10.17 13:15
Revelation 2:8-11, I will give you victor’s crown of life(Church in Smyrna)

Last Sunday, Jesus commended the church in Ephesus for their perseverance in faith and urged them to return to the love they had at first. Today, we will hear the words Jesus gave to the church in Smyrna.

1. Jesus commends the church in Smyrna, for He knows their afflictions and their poverty, yet they are rich (9).

“I know your afflictions and your poverty, yet you are rich.” They endured hardships and overcame the slander of those why say they are Jews and are not. The Lord says that they are rich spiritually. Do we live with spiritual wealth and overcome hardships and conquer those false groups?

2. Be faithful, even to the point of death (10).

The Lord warned that they would suffer persecution by the Roman Empire. He said, “Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer.” 1 Cor 10:13 writes, “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.” God will not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear. Though many will face persecution, our Lord urges us not to be afraid, instead be faithful, even to the point of death, and He will give us life as our victor’s crown. Remember what Paul said. 2 Timothy 4:6-8 say, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness...” Like the Lord’s exhortation, the church in Smyrna endured hardships and remained faithful. There were many martyrs. Polycarp was a martyr of Smyrna. Even today, there is a mural depicting the martyrdom of Polycarp in Polycarp memorial church.

“Be faithful, even to the point of death.” How can we serve faithfully? Be faithful to the Lord’s work. Be faithful even with little things. Do your best at work. Serve faithfully until the end. What does the Lord promise to those who are faithful, even to the point of death? He promises to reward them a crown of life. John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” 1 John 5:11-12 say, “And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.” Whoever believes in Him, have eternal life. There is life in Jesus Christ. The crown of life will be given only to those who overcome persecutions and serve the Lord faithfully until the end. We will be blessed to receive the gift of eternal life in heaven, it will be a greater blessing to receive the victor’s crown, crown of life. Verse 11 also says, “Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. The one who is victorious will not be hurt at all by the second death.” Unbelievers will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur in the second death. They will experience terrible death. Revelation 20:14 writes, “Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.” Revelation 21:8 also writes, “But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.” However, for those who believe in Jesus, there is nothing to be afraid. Our Lord urges the church in Smyrna to see life from the standpoint of eternity and fix their eyes on Him.

Dear Saints, the church in Smyrna grew in the midst of afflictions and poverty. Church should not fall and give up when there are troubles. We must overcome hardships and serve faithfully until the end. Are you in the midst of afflictions and poverty? Are you serving the Lord faithfully, even to the point of death? Let us look at the example of the church in Smyrna. They were spared from the second death and received the victor’s crown. Our Lord received the great glory through the church in Smyrna that was faithful and victorious. Today, He is still looking for the second Smyrna church in this day and age. Let us be the saints that look forward to receiving the victor’s crown and lead others to the Lord. Amen.

Comments