EM 말씀

Revelation 2:1-7, Return to your first love (Church in Ephesus)

관리자 0 1,223 2021.10.10 08:56
Revelation 2:1-7, Return to your first love (Church in Ephesus)

Jesus revealed Himself to John the Apostle who was exiled to the island of Patmos (1:13-16). He looked glorious. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance. In Rev. chapters 2-3, John wrote to the seven churches in the province of Asia what he has seen, what is now and what will take place later. Hear the words of this prophecy and take to heart what is written to the first church, church in Ephesus. Listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit. Ephesus was the capital of Asia. It was a city that served emperors and worshipped their goddess Artemis. Paul founded the church in Ephesus and Timothy, Apollos and John ministered there long time.

1. The Lord commends the church in Ephesus (2-3).

They worked hard and they were perseverant. They did not tolerate wicked people. They have persevered and have endured hardships for Jesus’ name and have not grown weary. They loved the Lord and love their neighbors. How are we living now as believers? Let us live as Galatians 6:9 says, “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Do not despair. Love the Lord and love neighbors and continue to serve faithfully.

2. The Lord rebukes the church in Ephesus for they have forsaken the love they had at first (4).

Do you remember the love you had at first when you first came to believe in Jesus? Hymn 305, “Amazing Grace,” inspires us to recommit ourselves to Jesus and the Gospel of Jesus Christ, like Acts 20:24 says, “However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.” Are we still living with the first love for the Lord?

3. In order to restore the love we had at first, we must repent and return to our first love for the Lord (5).

How do we do that? 1) Consider how far you have fallen and where you have fallen. 2) Repent 3) Return There is a testimony that will help us understand this better. It is a story of a doctor who used to love money, but he changed and began to love people and their souls. At first, he took care of the patients because he loved them. But he began to prioritize money over his patients and built huge wealth. One Lord’s day, after hearing a pastor’s sermon, this man repented. He asked himself, “When I stand before the judgment seat of Christ, when I report to the Lord, what will I say? Will I tell Him that I have spent my whole life just counting money? He felt deeply ashamed. He started taking care of his patients with love. He valued each and every patient and prayerfully cared for his patients.

Consider where you have fallen (Has money become the purpose of our lives?) Repent (Acknowledge our sin and turn back). Return to our first love for the Lord (Care for others with God’s heart).

What will happen if we do not repent? Verse 5 says, “Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place.” If church does not become the light of the world (lampstand) and save souls, it will simply be a fellowship meeting, not a true church. Example) the Early Christian Church in Jerusalem Jesus holds the seven stars (His servant) in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands (His Church). Are we living with the Lord who takes hold of our hand?

4. The Lord promises to the church in Ephesus, to the one who is victorious, he will give the right to eat from the tree of life (eternal life) (7).

We must overcome the world, sin, and Satan and have victory in our faith. 1 John 5:4-5 write, “for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.” Love the Lord, love neighbors, tell them about Him, live life God calls us to live, and receive eternal life in Jesus Christ. Amen.

Comments