EM 말씀

John 14:1-7 Do you seek the Way?

관리자 3 2,316 2021.08.08 08:51
John 14:1-7 Do you seek the Way?

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” 6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” John 14:1-7

Today’s Scripture, John 13-15 is like Jesus’ last words, precious Word of God. After this, Jesus was arrested, questioned, crucified, and put to death. In John 13, Jesus said, “Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later,” predicting his death. His disciples were deeply distressed. Jesus comforted his disciples in verse 1, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in me.” Why were they troubled? 1) They did not understand where Jesus was going or that he would die. 2) They had worldly desires. They expected that Jesus would become an earthly king and wanted positional status, power, and promotion. 3) They were troubled because things would be uncertain if their leader leaves. Only having faith in Jesus will drive out worry from our minds.

Jesus comforts his disciples again in verses 2-4. He said that he will come back and take them to a place He has prepared for them. He said, “My Father’s house has many rooms, if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” It is a great consolation to know that Jesus will prepare a place for them in His Father’s house in heaven. But his disciples did not understand what he said and asked him to teach them the way. In verse 5, Thomas said to Jesus, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” Jesus tells them about heaven. In verse 6, Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” Proverbs 16:25 writes, “There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.” People say that where they are heading is the way to heaven but it is false and in the end it leads to death. Jesus is the only way, the only truth and the only life. He said, “No once comes to the Father except through me.” Our Creator God has determined and provided the way so we may approach Him only through the blood of Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 10:19-20 write, “Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body.” 1 Timothy 2:5 says, “For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,” Acts 4:11-12 note, “Jesus is “the stone you builders rejected which has become the cornerstone.’ Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.” Yes, Jesus is the only way. Jesus is the destination of our faith. We go in a different direction, whether is doing good works, living morally, ethically, and philosophically. We pursue self-accomplishment, self-achievement, as we compete with others. We live self-centered lives and live by humanism. But the only way to live life is to fellowship with God and dwell in His presence.

Jesus said, “I am the way.” Without Jesus, we will wander around and we will be lost. Isaiah 53:6 says, “We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.” We are all sinners. But John 3:16 tells us that God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. Isaiah 41:10 promises that God will strengthen us, help us and uphold us with His righteous right hand. In John 14:27, He also promises that He will give peace to those who believe in Jesus as their LORD and Savior. 

His Holy Spirit will live in us. Only Jesus, the Son of God, His death on the cross is the true way. Let Jesus take the wheel of your life and believe in Jesus. Walk in His way that provides salvation, eternal life, and the way of truth and fulfill His purpose for the Kingdom of God as blessed citizens of heaven. Amen.

Comments