EM 말씀

Genesis 12:1-6 What is faith? (Surrender and Obedience)

관리자 0 1,501 2021.07.20 11:34
Genesis 12:1-6 What is faith? (Surrender and Obedience)

Today’s Bible Story may be relatable and familiar to immigrants. Many of us immigrated to one of the best countries in the world. We moved to a better country than our homeland.  Abram’s situation seems to be the opposite. Abram left the great city of Ur and its prosperous civilization and moved to the poor land of Canaan. Let’s explore today’s scripture and see how Abram demonstrated true faith.

1. Faith is to surrender and leave (1). 
God tells Abram to leave his country, his people and his father’s household. He tells him to give up three things. 1) Hometown (old self, worldly value) 2) Relatives (blood relative, relationships) 3) Father’s household (self-centered life, comfort, security) This means to be renewed in Jesus Christ and live with new values that is centered in Jesus and His Word. If we continue to live the self-centered life based on self and the world, we will be failures. Ephesians 4:22-24 instructs us to put on the new self and live with the new mind. It says, “you were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.”

2. Faith brings three blessings as a result (2).
Surrender and departure is not merely a sacrifice. It is a departure of blessing. God promises three blessings. 1) I will make you into a great nation. Abram did not have a child at the time. God formed a great nation of Israel through Abram’s descendants. 2) I will bless you. I will make your name great. Abram is recognized as the ancestor of faith in Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. 3) You will be a great blessing. When the king of Egypt and Gerar’s king took his wife, Sarah, God brought curses on them. Abram defeated the Mesopotamian allied forces and Melchizedek king of Salem blessed Abram. Even though Abram was not qualified, when he trusted God’s Word and His promise, God blessed him. These are fulfilled through Jesus Christ. I pray that through faith in Jesus, we will receive God blessings and share His blessings with others.

3. Faith is obedience to God’s Word (4-6, Hebrews 11:8).
In Abram’s time, leaving his country, his people, and his father’s household behind was like death. Abram’s destination was not clear, yet he obeyed God’s command. How do we respond to God’s command? There might be times we think that it is difficult to understand God’s Word or we might worry that it will bring damage or disadvantage. But, let us not lean on our own understanding or experiences. Obey God’s Word. Let us not be focused on our circumstances or problems. Focus on God, hold on to His Word and obey Him. He will bless us. Hebrews 11:8 writes, “By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.”

Dear Saints and young people of faith, what does God call us to do? God calls us to surrender and leave behind our worldly values, wrong mindsets, attitudes, idle life, and our own experiences. He calls us to trust His promise and obey His Word. Live as His disciples, receive His blessings and share His blessing with others as citizens of Heaven. Philippians 3:14 say, “I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Amen.

Comments