EM 말씀

John 7:37-39, Ephesians 5:18 Let anyone who is thirsty come and drink.

관리자 0 1,520 2021.06.13 14:19
John 7:37-39, Ephesians 5:18 Let anyone who is thirsty come and drink.

There is a lake of Word of living water behind Wycliffe Bible Translators headquarters building in Orlando, FL. Water continues to flow, forms larger streams and rivers, flows into the Atlantic Ocean and merges with the Pacific Ocean. This represents God’s Word of Living Water spreading all around the world. Ezekiel 47 depicts the vision of water coming out from the temple. It becomes a river, the water had risen and it was deep enough to swim in. The river from the temple flows toward the eastern region and went down into the Arabah, where it enters the Dead Sea. Where the river flows everything lives. This is the vision for church and us. I read two books last week. One book is called, The Mantle of the Mentor by R. Clinton and the other book is Don’t waster your life written by John Piper. These books inspired me to finish life well and not waste it. In order to finish life well, how should we live? We find answers in the Bible from today’s text.

1. Come to Jesus who invites anyone who is thirsty (John 7:37).

Verse 37 says, “On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink.” There is no end to quenching one’s thirst in life. Ecclesiastes 5:10 says, “Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.” Jesus searches for those who are thirsty spiritually. When we feel discouraged and hopeless caused by sin, how can we fix the problem of sin and pain? Romans 7:24 writes, “What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?” We do not have any inner strength that can save us from sin. Only Jesus has the power to save us. Through His blood, He washes away our sin, disappointment, and despair. Come to Jesus who invites us in a loud voice to come to Him and drink. Isaiah 55:1-2 tells us, “Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare.” Amen.

2. Keep drinking Jesus, be filled with the Holy Spirit (John 7:37-39, Acts 19:1-6).

37 On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” 39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified. John 7:37-39

In this text, “drink” means “continually.” It means to continually drink and be filled with the Holy Spirit, for those who believe in the name of the Lord Jesus will receive the Holy Spirit.

While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples 2 and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” 3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?” “John’s baptism,” they replied. 4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. Acts 19:1-6

John 4:14 says, “but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” The Samaritan woman drank the living water, Jesus. She believed Jesus as the Messiah and Savior. Jesus quenched her thirst and revived her soul. She led many of the Samaritans from that town to Jesus. If the Israelites did not drink the water God provided, they would have died of thirst. We will live when we keep drinking Jesus, the Holy Spirit. I pray that we will be filled with the living water Jesus gives and stay continually filled and overflowing in the Holy Spirit. Only Jesus will quench our thirst and satisfy our souls. Amen.

3. Seek and pray to be filled with the Spirit (Ephesians 5:18).

Ephesians 5:18 says, “Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit (continually).” Be filled and overflow. I pray that we will be filled and overflow with prayer, God’s Word, and His Grace. Let us pray that the water of the Holy Spirit from us will flow toward our family, church, and neighbors (Water of God’s Word in Orlando, the river from the temple in Ezekiel 47). The largest spiritual revival in the 20th century happened in Wales, Great Britain. What was their secret? Matthew 7:7 says, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” This is the key. There is no secret. Ask and it will be given to us. Keep praying to be filled with the Holy Spirit. And we will find. God will fill us with the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Let us come to Jesus and continually be filled with the Holy Spirit. I pray that God’s living water will overflow and bless our families, church, and neighbors and fill them with the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Comments