EM 말씀

Job 1:13-22, Job's Thanksgiving (*Thanksgiving Sunday)

관리자 0 1,701 2020.11.22 22:29
Job 1:13-22, Job's Thanksgiving (*Thanksgiving Sunday)

13-22

13.One day when Job's sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, 14.a messenger came to Job and said, "The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing nearby,

15.and the Sabeans attacked and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"

16.While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The fire of God fell from the sky and burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"

17.While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, "The Chaldeans formed three raiding parties and swept down on your camels and carried them off. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"

18.While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, "Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house,

19.when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"

20.At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship

21.and said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." 22.In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.

Thanksgiving Sunday(Day) comes from English Puritans 400 years ago(1621).

*Two puritans groups: 1) To North America-‘Mayflower’ Ship- First God and Faith –They got God and Gold) 2) To South America-‘Master’ Ship –First Gold –They didn’t get Gold and God). Luke 16:13b, ‘We cannot serve two masters, God and gold at the same time.’

The Old Testament also relates to the Feast of Unleavened Bread (Exodus 23:16). After harvesting barley, the Israelites gave a thank you to God.
Today, with Job's gratitude, let us listen to the word of God.

1. Thanks during repeated tribulation (13-20)

Job lost all his property (cows, donkeys, sheep, camels, servants) and 10 children during the day. And he lost his health. He had a disease that boiled all over his body. His wife said to him, “Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die.” His three friends also condemned him. But Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing. He praised to God with gratitude(21).

2. Thanks beyond the environment (20-21)

Verse 21, “Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised.”

*Rabbi Akimba's Gratitude. He came to sleep near a village, where he had a Bible, a lantern, a chicken, and a donkey. In the middle of the night, the wind blew and the lantern went out. The wolf came and bit the chicken. The lion bit the donkey and lost it. But he was grateful that he had no choice but to sing God's work. The next day he went down to town and there was no one there. A swarm of thieves came and killed everyone. He was grateful for God's grace.

*The gratitude of Daniel's three friends (even if not, Dan. 3:18). They broke the king's orders that if he did not bow to the golden statue, he would be tinged to a hot fire and killed.

3. Thanks for seeing God (42:5).

Job 42:5, “My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you." he confesses. Job is grateful to God during repeated tribulations, sees God with gratitude beyond the environment, and enjoys maximum blessedness in old age. 1) 10 children + 10 children went to the heaven = 20 children, 2) double his property, 3) health and longevity! After this, Job lived a hundred and forty years; he saw his children and their children to the fourth generation. And so he died, old and full of years.

Today, as we worship Thanksgiving Sunday, we are as grateful as Job and pray for a blessed heaven and a future. Amen.

Comments